Are you headed along the right path to your dream career? Like any adventure, your career journey is certain to be much more exciting and satisfying if you have a destination in mind. When you are focused and know your strengths and interests, you can target the industries, organizations and positions that fit you best.
Career Exploration is a key part of the Career Center’s Career Action Plan.
Career Exploration, Step-by-Step:
Explore your interests, skills, personality and work values.
Make an appointment with a career counselor to explore your career interests. The Career Center offers two assessments, the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator.
• What skills can I contribute?
• What motivates me to be my best?
• What exactly do I want to do (daily tasks and responsibilities)?
• What organization(s) do I want to work for?
Explore what you can do with different majors.
• Learn more about UNC Asheville’s majors
• Visit "What Can I Do With This Major?"
• UNC Asheville Career Stories blog: Read about what students and alumni from a variety of majors are doing for jobs and internships. Even more UNC Asheville alumni stories available here.
Find sample job postings
Ask the experts
• Get advice from faculty and current students in your academic department of interest.
• Arrange Informational Interviews with professionals in occupations of interest.
• Attend Career Panels, networking events and other campus programs where you can learn more about career paths for Liberal Arts students.
• Create your LinkedIn profile and find professionals in your field of interest.
• Use LinkedIn to find professionals in your field of interest and read more about their career paths.
Give the job a trial run
Consider job shadowing experiences, part-time work, internships or volunteer opportunities to identify what you enjoy doing, test jobs, and build your network.
Download the Career Exploration Step-by-Step Worksheet.
For further assistance, schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to discuss your career goals.