Wondering where you’re headed after graduation?
The Career Center offers free Career Assessments for UNC Asheville students and alumni
Get started today:
Step 1: Schedule an appointment with a Career Coach
• The career coach will get to know you and select the best assessment for you.
• Schedule an appointment using Handshake or by contacting our office at 828.251.6515.
Step 2: After meeting with a Career Coach, complete the assessment
• The career coach will give you an access code to complete the assessment. Assessments can be completed in the Career Center or online from your own computer.
Step 3: Schedule a Career Coach appointment to review the results
• MBTI and Strong assessment results require interpretation by a certified professional in the Career Center. MBTI and Strong results are never delivered to the client without interpretation.
• A career coach can interpret the results and help you determine some next steps towards choosing a major or career path.
Step 4: Your Career Coach will likely give you homework
• Follow-up appointments and self-directed exploration will help you identify work environments that are a good fit for you. Our Career Coaches can serve as your coach through that exploration process.
No assessment can pinpoint a specific job or occupation that is perfect for a person.
These assessments just serve as a starting point for your career exploration.
The Career Center offers the following assessments
The CliftonStrengths for Students assesment identifies your top five talent areas to develop into strengths. CliftonStrengths is based on six principles of human nature and behavior (Chip Anderson, 2004). They are:
- You have a group of talents within you.
- Your greatest talents hold the key to high achievement, success, and progress at levels of personal excellence.
- Becoming aware of your talents builds confidence and provides a basis for achievement.
- Learning how to develop and apply strengths will improve your levels of achievement.
- Each of your talents can be applied in many areas including relationships, learning, academics, leadership, service, and careers.
- As you develop and apply strengths, your achievements will increase and you will experience greater and more frequent successes.
The Strong Interest Inventory® assessment is one of thes world’s most widely respected and frequently used career planning tools. It is ideal for the following:
- Choosing a college major—helps students uncover their career interests and identify which areas of study are appropriate or required for a particular field
- Career exploration—opens up the world of work to first-time career seekers and those considering career transition by identifying their interests and demonstrating how they relate to various occupations and careers.
- Career development—helps heighten individuals’ self-awareness and provide deeper understanding of individual strengths and blind spots.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment has helped millions of people worldwide gain insights about themselves and how they interact with others—and improve how they communicate, learn, and work. The MBTI is ideal for:
- Career transition and planning—helps guide individuals on career choice, development, and management.
Leadership development—deepens leaders’ understanding of their personality type and the types of those they are leading to help them manage better, give more meaningful feedback, and improve individual and team performance.